Monday, May 11, 2015

The Beatles, the Release of Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band and “A Whiter Shade of Pale”

The Procol Harum song “A Whiter Shade of Pale” was released on May 12, 1967, about three weeks before Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band.

May 15:
On this evening The Beatles’ manager Brian Epstein hosted a dinner party to mark the completion of Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band. Later Paul McCartney had his first encounter with Linda Eastman at the Bag O’Nails nightclub. Both Linda and Paul remember hearing “A Whiter Shade of Pale” for the first time during this meeting. Paul later gave Linda his copy as a memento.

“The night I met Linda I was in the Bag O’Nails watching Georgie Fame and the Blue Flames play a great set. Speedy was banging away. She was there with the Animals, who she knew from photographing them in New York. They were sitting a couple of alcoves down, near the stage. The band had finished and they got up to either leave or go for a drink or a pee or something, and she passed our table. I was near the edge and stood up just as she was passing, blocking her exit. And so I said, ‘Oh, sorry. Hi. How are you? How're you doing?’ I introduced myself, and said, ‘We're going on to another club after this, would you like to join us?’ That was my big pulling line! Well, I'd never used it before, of course, but it worked this time! It was a fairly slim chance but it worked. She said, ‘Yes, okay, we'll go on. How shall we do it?’ I forget how we did it. ‘You come in our car’ or whatever, and we all went on, the people I was with and the Animals, we went on to the Speakeasy. And it was the first time any of us had heard Procol Harum’s “A Whiter Shade Of Pale.”
Paul McCartney
Many Years From Now, Barry Miles

“We flirted a bit, and then it was time for me to go back with them and Paul said, ‘Well, we’re going to another club. You want to come?’ I remember everybody at the table heard “A Whiter Shade Of Pale” that night for the first time and we all thought, ‘Who is that? Stevie Winwood?’ We all said Stevie. The minute that record came out, you just knew you loved it. That’s when we actually met. Then we went back to his house. We were in the Mini with I think Lulu and Dudley Edwards, who painted Paul's piano; Paul was giving him a lift home. I was impressed to see his Magrittes.
Linda McCartney
Many Years From Now, Barry Miles

May 17:
Recording of “You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)” began on this day, though it would not be completed until November 1969. "'You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)' was inspired by a telephone directory that John Lennon saw at Paul McCartney's London home. It was originally envisaged as a 15-minute mantra."

May 24:
All four members of The Beatles went to the Speakeasy in London on this day to watch Procol Harum perform. 

May 28:
The Beatles, minus Paul McCartney, attended a party at Brian Epstein's country house, Kingsley Hill in Warbleton near Heathfield in Sussex on this day. Epstein had recently bought the house for £25,000, and the party was a joint housewarming and a celebration for the release of Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band. The roads leading to the house were adorned with balloons for the occasion. In addition to the Beatles and their wives, it was attended by a number of friends and celebrities including composer Lionel Bart and The Beatles’ former press officer Derek Taylor. This was Taylor's initiation to LSD; he was given the drug by John Lennon. The pair spent much of the party in Lennon's Rolls-Royce listening to Procol Harum's “A Whiter Shade Of Pale.” It was also Cynthia Lennon's third and final experience taking LSD.

“Brian was having a party at the country house he’d bought in Sussex and John and I traveled down in the Rolls with a group of friends. On the journey everyone took LSD and I, against my better judgement but carried away by the jolly atmosphere in the car, decided to join in. Again, it was an awful mistake. At Brian's house I followed John around, hoping he would comfort me as I went through what was, for me, a horrible experience. But he was not in a good mood: he glared at me and treated me as if I were a stranger. I felt desolate. Upstairs I found an open bedroom window and contemplated jumping out. For a few minutes, ending it all seemed like an easy solution: a chasm had opened between John and me, and I had no idea how to bring us back together. Someone called my name, I turned back into the room and the fleeting thought passed. But I was low. For the first time I had to consider the very real possibility that my marriage might not survive.”
Cynthia Lennon
John

“We spoke a little about the state of the music scene, and he (Lennon) said there was one ‘dope’ record which he couldn't get off his mind. He couldn't remember the title. All other pop music of that period was ‘crap,’ one of his favourite words at that time. Next day John phoned me. ‘I remembered after I’d gone what record it is that I can’t stop playing,’ he said. ‘It's that dope song, Procol Harum's “Whiter Shade Of Pale.’” It’s the best song I’ve heard for a while. You play it when you take some acid and ... whoooooooo.’”
Lennon: The Definitive Biography, Ray Coleman

“Waiting for us was John and George and they were dressed in this exotic way; they had silk shirts that were this incredible color and they hugged us and they kissed us and all of a sudden there were no barriers – and what’s happening? We were swept outside of Heathrow Airport where John’s Rolls Royce like a Romany caravan was waiting for us – George in his Mini and us in the Rolls Royce with Procol Harum playing “Whiter Shade of Pale,” driving along the English roads from Surrey to Sussex.”
Joan Taylor, wife of Derek Taylor, the Beatles press officer.

June 1:
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band was issued in the UK on this day.

June 4:
Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr had first seen The Jimi Hendrix Experience performing on 11 January 1967 at the Bag O’Nails club in London. On this day McCartney, George Harrison, Jane Asher and Pattie Boyd watched them headline a bill at the city’s Saville Theatre. The bill also included Denny Laine & His Electric String Band, The Chiffons and Procol Harum. Hendrix opened his set with a version of the title track from The Beatles’ Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band album, which had been released just three days before.

“It would be one of his first gigs in London. Jimi was a sweetie, a very nice guy. I remember him opening at the Saville on a Sunday night, 4 June 1967. Brian Epstein used to rent it when it was usually dark on the Sunday. Jimi opened, the curtains flew back and he came walking forward, playing ‘Sgt. Pepper,’ and it had only been released on the Thursday so that was like the ultimate compliment. It’s still obviously a shining memory for me, because I admired him so much anyway, he was so accomplished. To think that that album had meant so much to him as to actually do it by the Sunday night, three days after the release. He must have been so into it, because normally it might take a day for rehearsal and then you might wonder whether you’d put it in, but he just opened with it. It’s a pretty major compliment in anyone’s book. I put that down as one of the great honours of my career. I mean, I'm sure he wouldn't have thought of it as an honour, I’m sure he thought it was the other way round, but to me that was like a great boost.
Paul McCartney
Many Years From Now, Barry Miles

At some point during this period, the following is said to have occurred:


“‘We weren’t really ready for such instant success, so I thought we’d better go out and get ourselves some new clothes,’ says Gary Brooker. ‘We made an appointment to go to this exclusive boutique called Dandy Fashions in the Kings Road in Chelsea. We rang the doorbell and inside all four Beatles were standing around a harmonium singing ‘A Whiter Shade of Pale’ the very moment we came in. Not for us… They just happened to be there singing the song as we came in through the door.’”

No comments:

Post a Comment